A Cesarean Section performed in the second stage of labor affects around 4% of all births, and carries an increased risk of trauma for both the mother and her baby. Intra-operative complications account for the majority of morbidity and often occur as a result of the increased manipulation required to deliver a deeply impacted fetal head.
The Fetal Pillow raises the fetal head making an often difficult cesarean delivery significantly easier. The use of the Fetal Pillow reduces grade 2 and 3 uterine extensions by 77% (Seal RCT 2016).
Fetal Pillow® is very simple to use, it is inserted during patient preparation and does not delay starting the procedure.
Fetal Pillow® enables a gentle and controlled elevation of the deeply impacted head. It is designed to ensure safer and easier delivery, which helps to reduce trauma to both mother and baby.
Fetal Pillow® reduces intra-partum and post-partum complications due to a significant decrease in uterine extensions. There is also a significant reduction in blood loss, blood transfusions, operating time and length of stay.
Fetal Pillow is intended to elevate a deeply impacted fetal head and facilitate delivery of the fetus in women requiring a Cesarean Section at full dilation or those requiring a Cesarean Section after a failed instrumental vaginal delivery.
Fetal Pillow is indicated for use at a gestational age ≥37 weeks.
Randomized Controlled Trials
Seal RCT 2016: Highlights significant reduction in uterine extension tears, PPH, operating time & length of stay.
Brigham and Women’s RCT 2020: 97% of physicians would recommend Fetal Pillow use in a Full Dilation CS.
Fetal Pillow® vs. Hand From Below Study
Case Controlled Study
- Randomized controlled trial of elevation of the fetal head with a fetal pillow during cesarean delivery at full cervical dilatation
- Comparison of maternal and neonatal outcomes from full-dilatation cesarean deliveries using the Fetal Pillow or hand-push method
- Does elevating the fetal head prior to delivery using a fetal pillow reduce maternal and fetal complications in a full dilatation caesarean section? A prospective study with historical controls
- Prospective study evaluating the role of fetal pillow in caesareans section at full dilatation in reducing maternal and fetal morbidity
- P.LD.62 Evaluation of the use of Fetal Pillow at full dilatation caesarean section
- 0197 Re-audit of the fetal pillow (FP): a novel intervention to reduce maternal and fetal complications at caesarean section at full dilation (CSFD)
- EP10.122 The use of the fetal pillow to deliver the fetal head at caesarean section at full dilatation
- EP10.131Elevating fetal head prior to performing a caesarean section at full dilation using fetal pillow:a prospective randomised trial
- PL.46 Initial experience with the fetal pillow in South West Essex and comparison with historical cohort of 2nd stage caesarean sections
- O737 Reducing complications related to Caesarean section (CS) in second stage: UK
- Fetal pillow- caesarean section at full dilatation made easy
- Contemporary adoption of new devices in Obstetrics: a case study of the Fetal Pillow
- The Introduction of the Fetal Pillow (FP) in our Department: A Novel Device to Reduce Maternal and Fetal Morbidity in Caesarean Sections at Full Dilatation (CSFD)